Pier 5 Park at the Head of Boston Harbor in the Charlestown Navy Yard
The Boston Navy Yard Pier 5 is the only fully open Harbor Walk location with unobstructed view sheds including the Charles and Mystic Rivers, Boston skyline, East Boston and the entire harbor all the way to the Harbor Islands.
Pier 5 Association is making extraordinary progress to reactivate this public property as an landmark waterfront national park providing healthful recreation, cultural events and historic views from the Head of Boston Harbor.
Cities are opening access to public waterfronts, creating landmark attractions for well being of generations to come.
What is your vision for your park?
Pier 5 adjacent piers include renown Pier 6 marina/restaurant to the North and the beloved Courageous Sailing Center city side. Neighboring National Treasure, the U.S.S. Constitution frigate is an international tourist attraction with over 350,000 visitors each year to learn and explore. One of Boston’s most visited museums.
Public Health & Resilient Waterfront
Urban Renewal are Global Goals
Social Justice: Recreational
Sustainable Development Goals
Let’s continue our accomplishments for 2022!
- We have helped prevent the 2021 privatization proposals.
- Organized and participated numerous public family boardwalk events and meetings to reactivate Pier 5 as a National Park destination.
- Petition 3,600+ supporters.
- We have worked with neighbors and institutions.
- We have engaged political and other leaders.
- Correcting Public Disinformation
- Several Independent Engineering Firm Engagements
- Secured world class independent engineering firms to determine the present condition of Pier 5 and confirmed restoration options park feasibility.
- Analysis Reports including: Historical, Engineering Structural Feasibility, Flood Risk, Acoustic Impacts, Heat Island, Flood berm, Urban Reef, Ornithology Habitat and more.
- Feasibility Visions
- Strategic planning
- Community Events & Engagements
- Organizing innovative nature based climate resilient landscape design focus by prospective studios and Universities.
- Researching thousands of documents including the original plans, present conditions and legal obligations of the Boston Redevelopment Authority to Pier 5 and the Charlestown Navy Yard historic district.
Municipal Harbor Plans
Much of the planning and urban design parameters outlined in MHPs are codified into zoning, such as the city’s Harborpark District Zoning (Articles 42A, 42B, 42C, 42D, 42E, and 42F) which governs development along many of Boston’s waterfront communities.
More on Waterfront Planning initiatives can be found through the links below.